The process of canning involves several steps to ensure quality control and safety standards are met. From purchasing cans and labels to paying for equipment rentals, overhead expenses can really add up quickly if you plan on taking care of all the work yourself. In this article, we explain the various costs associated with getting your liquid professionally canned so that you can make informed decisions when it comes to canning your beverages.
What Is Commercial Liquid Canning?
Commercial liquid canning is the process of packaging liquids such as beverages, sauces, and oils into cans for distribution and sale. The process involves filling the cans with the liquid, sealing them, and then pasteurizing or sterilizing them to ensure their safety and longevity. This process has become increasingly popular for small and large businesses alike as it allows for better preservation of the product, longer shelf life, and easier transportation.
Commercial liquid canning can be done manually or using automated machines, depending on the volume of production. The popularity of canned drinks and food products has made commercial liquid canning an essential part of the food and beverage industry.
Benefits Of Professional Canning
Professional canning offers a wide variety of benefits for the beverage industry. Whether you’re looking to package alcoholic drinks, non-alcoholic beverages, or energy drinks, professionally canned products are an attractive and reliable option.
The main benefits of professional canning include:
- Being able to store a wide range of liquids, from beer and wine to distilled water safely and hygienically;
- Canned drinks are designed for portability, making them a great choice for those who need their beverages on the go;
- Cans are lightweight yet durable, which means less waste from packaging materials in comparison to other options such as glass bottles;
- Commercial canning allows brands to keep up their production rate without worrying about spoilage or loss of quality due to improper preservation techniques;
- Since they often provide an alternative to traditional plastic bottles, canned water and drinks reduce the environmental impact associated with beverage purchases.
Types Of Cans Used For Canning Liquids
Depending on the type of food or liquid being canned and its intended use, different types of cans may be required. The most common material for canning liquids is aluminum. It offers an excellent barrier against oxygen permeation, protecting the taste and quality of whatever product is contained within. Additionally, it has several advantages over other materials like glass bottles such as being lightweight and corrosion-resistant.
Bottled water is often canned in plastic containers while alcoholic beverages tend to be canned in metal cans. However, certain water products, such as sparkling water, tend to come packaged in aluminum cans.
Variables That Affect The Cost Of Professional Canning
The cost of professional canning is affected by many variables such as the type of liquid being canned (alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages), the size and shape of the cans used for canning, the quantity of liquid, and the number of cans required. Price can also be influenced by factors such as the complexity of labels.
If you need a large production run with thousands or even millions of cans, then this will likely require industrial-level equipment. Depending on where you live, there may be taxes or local regulations associated with commercial manufacturing operations which should also be taken into consideration.
Equipment Required For Professional Canning
Professional liquid canning requires specialized equipment to ensure the quality and safety of the product. The equipment required includes a filling machine, which can fill cans quickly and accurately with the desired amount of liquid. A seaming machine is also necessary to seal the cans and prevent leakage.
A pasteurizer or sterilizer is used to ensure that the product is free from harmful bacteria and microbes. Additionally, a labeling machine is necessary for labeling the cans with the required information such as the product name, ingredients, and date of manufacture. Other equipment may include conveyors, pumps, and tanks for storing and transferring the liquid. It is important to invest in high-quality equipment to ensure the success of the canning process and the safety of the product.
Cost Of Professional Canning Services
Professional canning services provide convenience by allowing you to get your pre-packaged items quickly so you don’t have to worry about packing everything yourself. The cost of having your liquid professionally canned will depend on several factors including service charges, baggage service fees, and additional costs associated with packaging materials and transportation.
Cost Of Canning Supplies
The cost of liquid canning supplies varies depending on the type and quantity of supplies needed. Some of the common supplies include cans, lids, labels, fillers, and sealers. The cost of cans, for example, can range from a few cents to several dollars per can depending on the size and material used. Similarly, the cost of labels can vary depending on the design and printing method. When calculating the cost of liquid canning supplies, it is important to factor in the cost of shipping, storage, and any special equipment needed for the canning process.
Cost Of Shipping And Delivery
Shipping and delivery costs can vary greatly depending on the size of your order and its destination. If you’re looking to get your liquid professionally canned, it’s important to factor these associated costs into the overall price:
- The quantity of cans being shipped: More cans means higher shipping costs;
- The weight of each can: Heavier cans often come with greater shipping fees;
- Your chosen carrier: Different carriers offer varying rates for their services;
- Where you’re delivering your shipment: International shipments may require additional paperwork or permit fees.
Cost Of Storage
When it comes to the cost of storage for your canned liquids, you’ll need to factor in how long you plan on storing the liquid and what kind of container you will use.
There are many types of containers available depending on your budget and needs:
- Aluminum cans: This is the most popular choice when it comes to storing liquids. You can purchase cans in various sizes and shapes, making them perfect for any type of liquid storage project.
- Plastic or glass jars: These are a decent option if you’re not looking for something too fancy. They come in different sizes.
- Barrels: If you need larger amounts of liquid stored, then barrels might be a good option.
Cost Of Insurance
Generally speaking, businesses should expect to spend anywhere from two percent to five percent of their total annual sales for insurance premiums. This cost may also increase with additional endorsements that are added to secure extra liability protection.
Businesses must consider whether they need general liability coverage for:
- Third-party claims resulting from injury or damage caused by their products;
- Product liability coverage for lawsuits brought due to manufacturing defects;
- Business interruption insurance in case production has to stop unexpectedly;
- Cargo/transportation insurance if products are shipped across state lines;
- Cyber security protection against online threats.
Professional Canning Services
Professional canning provides an efficient way to package products without needing additional specialized equipment or knowledge. From beer brewing to juice manufacturing, tailored professional canning solutions allow you to get your product into the hands of consumers quickly and efficiently without sacrificing quality or safety standards.
At Geninox Canning, we provide professional canning equipment at the forefront of innovation. Thanks to our commitment to producing only the best solutions for canning companies, we are able to deliver top-tier canning equipment and accessories. By partnering with us, you will be able to leverage high-quality and reliable canning systems.